It’s Friday The 13th… I’m Not Scared
I'm really not a very superstitious person, but there does seem to be some general uneasiness about the number 13. Check out the Friday the 13th facts here...
- In a traditional hangman's noose there are 13 twists of the rope and 13 steps to the gallows.
- Many buildings don't count their 13th floors. You'll see on their elevators that the numbers skip from 12 to 14.
- There is no 13th Avenue in San Francisco, instead Funston Avenue is between 12th and 14th Avenues.
- In Formula 1 racing, there is no car with the number 13. The number has been removed after two drivers were killed in crashes, both driving cars numbered 13.
- Killers Charles Manson, Saddam Hussein, Jeffrey Dahmer, John Wayne Gacy, Theodore Bundy, and Jack The Ripper each have 13 letters in their names.
- July 1951: The Great Flood killed 24 people, destroyed more than 2 million acres of land in Kansas and caused $760 million in damage.
- March 1964: The "Good Friday" earthquake wasn't actually so good. It remains the largest earthquake in North American history, killing 131 people near Prince William Sound.
- July 1987: An F4 tornado ripped through Edmonton, Alberta, killing 27 people and injuring at least 300.
- March 1992: An earthquake killed nearly 2,000 people and left 50,000 homeless in Turkey.
Fame and (Mis)Fortune: These people weren't so lucky on Friday the 13th:
- Tupac Shakur was shot and killed in Las Vegas on a Friday the 13th.
- Al Capone was sentenced to prison on a Friday the 13th.
- Benny Goodman, the King of Swing, died on a Friday the 13th.
- Hubert Humphrey, the 38th Vice President of the United States, died on a Friday the 13th.