Nationwide Reports of Black Friday Violence
Without a doubt, Black Friday is the craziest shopping day of the year. Working in retail myself, I've witnessed a mother jump onto a pallet of Razor scooters and kick other customers in the chest if they tried to grab one, screaming "THESE ARE MINE!" I also saw a group of customers, so intent on getting an ipod, rush an electronics case and force the 50-year-old employee into the glass, shattering it. People will do anything to get the best deals possible, even if they have to hurt someone to do it. Its not even noon, and there are reports across the country of violence breaking out at Black Friday sales.
- Rome, NY: A man has been charged with disorderly conduct after instigating a fight in the electronics section of the local Wal Mart. Several people were pushed to the ground which lead to the fights. Two people were taken to the hospital for minor injuries.
- Des Moines, Iowa: Police are investigating a possible shooting in the parking lot of the Valley West Mall. The shooting was reported just after 4a.m. when the mall opened. Police have not divulged if they have a suspect, but have said the mall is safe.
- Myrtle Beach, SC: A 55-year-old woman was shot in the foot in the Wal Mart parking lot after two men approached her and demanded her purse.
- Cave Creek, AZ: Maricopa County Sheriff's Department evacuated a local Wal Mart after an explosive device was discovered in a refrigerator in the break room.
- San Leandro, CA: An unidentified victim was shot and critically injured in a Wal Mart parking lot. Police patrolling the parking lot found the victim and a possible suspect being held by the victim's family. The victim was approached by several suspects while leaving Wal Mart. The suspects demanded the victim's merchandise, and pulled a gun during the resulting scuffle. The victim is in critical, but stable condition at a local hospital.
- Los Angeles, CA: A woman waiting in line for an X Box 360 pepper sprayed her fellow Wal Mart shoppers who she felt were trying to cut in line. Of the 15 reported injuries, 10 of them were from inhaling the pepper spray.
- Fayetteville, NC: Shots were fired at the Cross Creek Mall shortly after 2a.m. Several more shots were fired later when one of the suspects ran into the mall. No injuries were reported.
Does it make the present that much more special if you broke a couple ribs getting it?