The Experts (My Dogs): Wichita Paws Dog Park Is Great
So last night, The Mom and I took Willie, George and Frank to check out the new Wichita Paws Dog Park at Lake Wichita Park on Fairway.
We arrived about 6:30 and there were already two sets of doggies running around. We entered the first gate & locked it behind us & took off their leashes. As soon as we opened the gate into the park, they were off. Well, Frank & George were off running around, Willie is the sniffer/pee'r of the house. It was fun watching how they each discovered the new area, which was pretty big, I might add.
I was VERY happy to see that they got along with all of the other dogs! In fact I only heard one commotion--coming from the Large Dog Area (size matters apparently).
Overall, we had a great experience & the boys had a great time running around, sniffing stuff (and other dogs), and exploring. I did mention to one pet parent that her dog had gone potty while she was texting. Other than that, everyone was very attentive to their "kids" & seemed to have a good time.
I didn't see any rules posted out there, but I'd read them from the Facebook page. In case you want to check out Wichita Paws Dog Park, and I highly suggest it, here are the rules:
- Hours are dawn to dusk.
- Children under the age of 8 years old are prohibited. Children under 16 years old must be accompanied by an adult solely responsible for the child’s proper behavior and safety.
- Owners must stay within the off leash facility and have visual sight of their dog(s) at all times.
- The small dog area is designated for dogs weighi...ng less than 30 pounds.
- The large dog area is designated for dogs weighing 30 pounds or more.
- Limit of two dogs per visit.
- Female dogs in season are not allowed in the facility.
- Only one dog owner at a time in the space between the double gate entries. Dogs leashes must be removed within the double space entry and dog released without the leash into the off leash pen.
- Owners must immediately clean up and properly dispose of any waste left by the dog.
- By bringing a dog into the facility, the owner certifies that their dog has been properly inoculated and free of contagious conditions, diseases, parasites, fresh wounds, etc. and have the proper tags attached to their dog.
- Any bite or scratch must be reported to the Animal Control Division of the Health Department.
- No food for humans or dogs, including dog treats, is allowed within the facility.
- Owners must stop their dog from digging and must fill any holes caused by their dog.
- Wading pools or equipment for training are not allowed within the facility.
- Bicycles, skate boards, scooters, skates, roller blades, or motorized vehicles (excluding ADA mobility devices) are not allowed inside the facility.
- Dogs showing aggression toward people or other animals must be removed immediately.
- No animals other than dogs are allowed in the facility.
Beware: severe exhaustion may occur.....