Hearty Winter Vegetable Stew
This recipe is very easy to make, most of the work is just prepping the ingredients and chopping those veggies. The majority of the time you’ll be sweating out the veggies and letting your stew simmer. Which means, you get to leave it alone and do whatever you want while it cooks. My favorite type of cooking.
I also decided to add in some Vegan Beef Tips from Gardein. It was so good! But this is totally optional, especially if you aren’t a fan of mock meats.
Serving Size: 4-6 Bowls
- 2 Cups Yellow Potato, chopped into chunks
- 1 Cup Carrots, chopped into chunks
- 2 Cups Mushrooms, chopped into chunks
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 3 Cloves garlic
- 1 Red Onion, sliced
- 2 Tsp Salt, 3 Tbsp Tamari
- 1L Vegetable Broth
- 3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1-2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp Water
- 2-3 Handfuls of Kale
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Cup Vegan Beef Chunks
- In a large pot, heat up 2 Tbsp of oil over medium-high heat.
- Add your minced garlic and sliced onions to the hot pot. Sweat your onions for 2-3 minutes.
- Add your chopped carrots and a tsp of salt. Stir to evenly mix it. Cover your pot with a lid and let the carrots sweat it out for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add your chopped potatoes and mushrooms into the pot and add another tsp of salt. Stir to evenly mix the salt in with the potatoes and mushrooms. Cover with a lid and sweat your veggies for 5 minutes.
- Stir in your Tamari sauce and mix it to spread it around through all the veggies.
- Pour in your 1 liter of veggie broth into the pot and add in your tomato paste, pepper, and smoked paprika. Stir until it is combined.
- Cover your pot with a lid and bring your stew to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, bring it down to a simmer and leave an open crack with your lid to allow some of the moisture to release. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Once you've let it simmer, in a small bowl mix your cornstarch in with your 3 tbsp of water until combined. Add the mixture to your stew. This will thicken it up a little bit.
- Roughly chop your destemmed kale and add to your stew. Stir it in until its evenly mixed with the rest of the veggies. If you are using some vegan beef chunks, add it in right now. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in a bowl with a slice of your favorite bread and enjoy!