How Do Wichita Falls High Schools Rank Against Each Other Academically?
With the new school year upon us, it seems like as good of a time as any to look at how schools in Wichita Falls, specifically the three major high schools, stack up against each other and the rest of the state.
- WFHS: 1,401 Students (388 Freshmen, 384 Sophomores, 303 Juniors, and 326 Seniors). 50% Male, 50% Female
- Rider: 1,690 Students (486 Freshmen, 439 Sophomores, 391 Juniors, and 374 Seniors). 52% Male, 48% Female.
- Hirschi: 723 Students (224 Freshmen, 190 Sophomores, 158 Juniors, 151 Seniors). 54% Male, 46% Female.
Geometry Proficiency (Results based on State of Texas Assessment of Academic Readiness tests results)
- WFHS: 31% Unsatisfactory, 31% Satisfactory, 38% Advanced. Above state average.
- Rider: 15% Unsatisfactory, 31% Satisfactory, 54% Advanced. Above state average.
- Hirschi: 29% Unsatisfactory, 14% Satisfactory, 57% Advanced. Above state average.
Reading Proficiency (Results based on State of Texas Assessment of Academic Readiness tests results)
- WFHS: 64% Unsatisfactory, 33% Satisfactory, 3% Advanced. Below state average.
- Rider: 50% Unsatisfactory, 42% Satisfactory, 8% Advanced. Above state average.
- Hirschi: 63% Unsatisfactory, 35% Satisfactory, 3% Advanced. Below state average.
College Readiness Index (Out of 100)
- WFHS: 27.7
- Rider: 30.1
- Hirschi: 22.8
AP Student Performance
- WFHS: 47% Participation Rate, 45% Participant Passing Rate
- Rider: 43% Participation Rate, 61% Participant Passing Rate
- Hirschi: 5% Participation Rate, 29% Participant Passing Rate (Note: Hirschi also participates in International Baccalaureate certificate exams for college credit, with a 24% Participation Rate and 94% Participant Passing Rate.)
So what does all of this mean compared to the rest of the state? Where do the Wichita Falls big three rank against the rest of Texas? Well, unfortunately we don't. According the US News and World Report, Wichita Falls schools didn't even get a state ranking. Just for comparison sake, let's look at the #10 ranked Texas high school (#73 nationally), Irma Lerma Rangel Young Women's Leadership School in Dallas, TX.
- Total Enrollment: 193 students (68 Freshmen, 52 Sophomore, 45 Juniors, 28 Seniors). 100% Female.
- Reading Proficiency: 7% Unsatisfactory, 59% Satisfactory, 34% Advanced.
- Geometry Proficiency: 25% Unsatisfactory, 46% Satisfactory, 29% Advanced.
- College Readiness Index: 81.3
- AP Student Performance: 100% Participation Rate, 66% Participant Passing Rate.
Just because our high schools didn't make the list doesn't mean we're in the bad spot either. Keep in mind that Wichita Falls is up against some stiff competition, especially since the #1 ranked Texas high school, School for the Talented and Gifted, is also ranked #1 nationally.